We have a cat who is almost a year old. We have had to reschedule her spay appointment about 6 times as every time she has had one, she has been in heat.
She has never been outside so there is no pregnancy danger and we have heard (from a number of vets and other experts) that there are additional risks spaying a cat while she is in heat. They recommended waiting 2 weeks after the heat cycle before spaying.
However, the shelter we adopted her from are being complete ****. She was first due to be spayed in January and they have been harassing us constantly since then. We have explained why we have been rescheduling but they insist their vet says there is NO PROBLEM spaying a cat in heat.
Each time they call they are progressively nastier, threatening lawsuits and taking the cat back as we signed a contract when we adopted her that we would have her spayed as soon as she was old enough.
Any thoughts ?
Similar thing happened to me. It can be done, but my vet said the risks for excessive bleeding (if I remember correctly...) are higher. At the time he advised me to reschedule for 2 weeks from the start of the heat cycle and that worked out fine, she was back to normal in about ten days after starting the heat cycle.
So see if you can still do that, or else arrange with your vet for an impromptu spay (day's notice) as soon as she's over it.
Why don't you have the shelter call your vet if they want reassurance that you are working on getting your cat spayed? Hopefully they would accept and respect your vet's opinion - not all vets think alike.
You might check out this vet web site. It says it is ok to do but you might check with your vet. I always thought you were supposed to wait.
http://www.vetinfo.com/catrepro.html#Cat in heat, what to
As long as the cat is well looked after I doubt if she could be taken back. Your vet is correct, she should not be speyed until 2 weeks after going off heat. It will be easier in cool weather as she will not come on heat so readily. Just don't let her out until speyed. Alan.
I understand both sides here! Since shelters in some states are bound by law to see that all animals they adopt out are altered by a certain age, it can be nerve wracking to have one that isn't! Most shelters have also dealt with the occasional individual that simply will not alter the animal even after agreeing to do so! And some states do in fact allow for reclaiming the animal if proof of altering isn't provided to the adopting agency in a timely fashion.
All that said, I also understand you hesitation in having a possibly unsafe procedure done on your cat. According to the vets I have used for 20 yrs. of rescue work there are actually 2 risks in spaying a cat in season
Having helped spay and neuter HUNDREDS of cats, I can tell you it is perfectly alright to spay a young, healthy female in heat. Some vets prefer not to, however, because it is more difficult for them! Please have this little one done, ASAP, for her sake and yours.
Easy way out, make 2 appointments 5 days apart, use 2 vets, one will surely work.
An interesting piece of information that, my cat Rosie had only just come out of heat when we had her neutered, she was fine. I hadn't realised there was any risk, I will ask the vet when (I am being optimistic here cos my boyfriend is making a fuss about another cat) we next have to have the procedure done. (That is if we don't get an older cat.
Not a vet here...but vets have recommended to me to wait til after the 'heat' has chilled and also for nursing mothers...wait til after the kittens are weaned and the milkshake machine is shut down. I would imagine that the latter is good fer both momma cat and kittens.
I do rescue work for cats and recently saved 2 pregnant mama cats. After having their babies and nursing them for the first 9-10 weeks, they both went into heat right away and were just miserable. After waiting for 3 weeks I talked to my vet, who assured me there was no greater risk involved in spaying during the heat cycle. Yes, there is more bleeding, and the operation is a bit more complicated for the vet, but the cats seem to recover just as quickly. It really is not dangerous and my girls are doing great.
A few thoughts of my own:
* Yes, a spay in heat is more work for the vet because of increased blood flow to the uterus. Nonetheless, as SavAPaw says, there is little risk for a good surgeon. In fact, you can spay near full term pregant cats as well.
* Many would like to believe that 'there is no prgenancy danger' for an 'indoor only' cat. However, those of us who do rescue know all to well the painfully common story we hear: 'I didn't get my cat spayed because she is an indoor only cat, but she accidentally got out .... can you take the kittens ?'
* This sad situation COULD HAVE BEEN CIRCUMVENTED if the shelter had been practicing early spay/neuter. Cats can be sterilized safely at the age of 7-8 weeks (the minimum age that most shelters will adopt cats out at anyway). The shelter could have saved everyone grief had they adopted the policy that a cat is not adoptable until sterilized. Instead, the adoptor agonizes over repeated spay schedulings which 'can't' be done due to rapid heat cycling, and the shelter wastes resources to track down and deal with possibly negligent adoptors when they could have taken care of the job up front and recovered vet costs as part of the adoption fee. How many additional cats could they rescue/spay/neuter with the money they must pay the people who have to track post-adoption spay/neuter compliance and harass those who renege on the agreement?
Scott (whose rescuees never take their gonads to their next home...)